It can be both confusing and frustrating when you try to use your phone but it has no sound. Imagine trying to show your friend a video, but you can’t hear it. Maybe you enjoy listening to music while you cook, but the music won’t play.
We will give you some tips on what to do when your iPhone 8 has no sound. It is an easy to fix problem, although if you are not able to fix it with these tips you may need the support of a professional.
iPhone 8 has no sound – How To Fix (9 TIPS)
1. Check Your Sound Settings
This may seem like the most obvious answer. That is because it is. Sometimes you can push buttons accidentally, or someone else messes with your phone. Checking the settings is usually the first step to diagnosing the problem.
- Go to the “Settings” menu.
- Select the “Sounds” option.
- Adjust the ringtone volume to the highest setting by using the slider.
- Ensure that the “Silent” option is not in use.
- Check that your notifications are enabled by toggling the switch to “Allow Notifications”.
2. Make Sure Bluetooth is Off
This is another simple fix and an easy thing to check on your iPhone.
- You will again enter the “Settings” menu.
- Find the menu item marked “Bluetooth”.
- Toggle the switch to the “Off” position.
This will turn off Bluetooth and ensure any sound you try to play comes through the speakers instead of any nearby Bluetooth devices.
3. Turn Off “Do Not Disturb”
Sometimes the “Do Not Disturb” feature is engaged automatically at certain times of the day or night, or even on specific days.
- Find the “Settings” menu.
- Look for the “Do Not Disturb” icon.
- Choose that icon by tapping on it. It will pull up a menu.
- Within that menu, ensure that both the “Manual” and “Scheduled” options are toggled to off.
Usually, if the “Do Not Disturb” feature is active there will be a crescent moon symbol along the notification bar, but it is still worth it to take a look.
4. Restart Your iPhone
Restarting the iPhone 8 is a multi-step process.
- First, quickly press and release the “Volume up” soft key.
- Next, quickly press and release the “Volume down” soft key.
- Now hold down the power button on the right side of your iPhone until the power slider bar appears on your screen.
- Slide the power slider from left to right to turn the iPhone off.
Wait a minute or two and turn your iPhone back on by holding the power button again.
5. Reset All of Your Settings
To reset your iPhone you will be erasing all the data from it and restoring the phone to factory settings. Before you do this, back up your information to your iTunes account. This will ensure you do not lose any photos, music, or messages.
- Go to the “Settings” menu.
- Tap the “Apple ID” menu setting.
- Tap “iCloud” and then “iCloud Backup”.
- Select “Ok”. Your iPhone will now send all of your information to your iTunes account so that the reset of the iPhone does not force you to lose anything.
- Next, you will select the “Settings” menu.
- Go to “General”.
- Choose “Reset”
- Now you will select “Reset All Settings”, enter your passcode, and select “Reset All Settings” again.
This will completely reset and restart your iPhone.
6. Update Your Software
Apple rolls out new settings often. These settings are often sent to your iPhone automatically, but sometimes it won’t and you end up with glitches. Updating the software manually can often fix the issues you are having.
- Once again we will enter the “Settings” menu.
- Choose the option that says “general”.
- Now click the icon where you see “Software Update”.
- If there are any updates available, they will appear now.
- Tap “Update and Install”.
7. Try To Adjust the Sound in an App
Up next is a great iPhone 8 has no sound fix! Depending on what application you were using when the sound did not work, it is entirely possible that your iPhone speakers are working just fine, but you have disabled them in an app.
Enter each app you use regularly.
- In each app, check the settings menu for “Sound Settings” or “Mute” buttons.
- In each app, turn the sound volume up all the way.
- Make sure that there are no sounds muted and that none of the apps have their volume turned to the minimum levels.
Once you have checked every app in your iPhone that you have used recently, attempt to play a song or video to check the sound settings again.
8. Try Using Headphones
If you cannot get any sounds to play through the speakers even after trying all of the methods here, try to connect headphones. You can do this in one of two ways.
The first way to connect headphones is to use the headphone port.
- Plug the wire from the headphones into the headphone port.
- Now, go to a music app or your sound settings and either play a song or turn your volume up to hear a ringtone.
- If you can hear the music or your notification playing then chances are the problem is coming from the iPhone speakers.
- You can also connect to Bluetooth.
- Go to the “Settings” menu.
- Go to the “Bluetooth” icon and toggle the switch to “Bluetooth On”.
- Under the “Bluetooth” icon there will be a column labeled “Devices”.
- Find your headphones in the “Devices” column.
- Tap the name of your headphones.
You are now connected. Continue on to test the headphone sound with a music app or the notification settings.
You can do this by opening a music app from your applications menu and pressing “Play” on a song, or by going to the sound settings and turning up the volume.
9. Contact Apple Care
If you have tried every method here and you still cannot get any sounds through either your speakers or through your headphones, contact Apple Care. They will be able to help you troubleshoot further, or repair the device for you. Hopefully one of these fixes the iPhone 8 Has No Sound issue!
Call Apple Care at 800–694–7466
Visit Apple Care on the web at https://www.apple.com/contact/